Venue: Council Chamber, Harrow Civic Centre. View directions
Contact: Damian Markland, Acting Senior Democratic Services Officer Tel: 020 8424 1785 E-mail: email@example.comItems No. Item
Attendance by Reserve Members
To note the attendance at this meeting of any duly appointed Reserve Members.
Reserve Members may attend meetings:-
(i) to take the place of an ordinary Member for whom they are a reserve;
(ii) where the ordinary Member will be absent for the whole of the meeting; and
(iii) the meeting notes at the start of the meeting at the item ‘Reserves’ that the Reserve Member is or will be attending as a reserve;
(iv) if a Reserve Member whose intention to attend has been noted arrives after the commencement of the meeting, then that Reserve Member can only act as a Member from the start of the next item of business on the agenda after his/her arrival.
RESOLVED: To note the attendance at this meeting of the following duly appointed Reserve Members:-
Councillor Ann Gate
Councillor Varsha Parmar
Councillor Sachin Shah
Councillor Sasi Suresh
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations of personal or prejudicial interests, arising from business to be transacted at this meeting, from:
(a) all Members of the Committee, Sub Committee, Panel or Forum;
(b) all other Members present in any part of the room or chamber.
RESOLVED: To note that the following interests were declared
Agenda Item 8 – Developing the Scrutiny Work Programme
Councillor Paul Osborn declared a personal interest in that he had been a Cabinet Member and the Portfolio Holder for Performance, Communication and Corporate Services under the previous administration. He would remain in the room during discussion and decision making on this item but would leave should his personal interest become prejudicial.
Councillor Barry Macleod-Cullinane declared a personal interest in that he had been a Cabinet Member and the Portfolio Holder for Adults and Housing under the previous administration. He would remain in the room during discussion and decision making on this item but would leave should his personal interest become prejudicial.
That the minutes of the meetings held on 13 April 2010 and the special meeting held on 27 May 2010 (to follow) be taken as read and signed as a correct record.
(1) the minutes of the meeting held on 13 April 2010 be taken as read and signed as a correct record;
(2) the minutes of the special meeting held on 27 May 2010 be taken as read and signed as a correct record, subject to the following amendment:
· An extra line be added to the end of minute item 4, to read: “A Member of the Conservative Group stated that he objected to the proposed new committee structure”.
Public Questions, Petitions and Deputations
To receive questions (if any) from local residents/organisations under the provisions of Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rule 8.
RESOLVED: To note that no public questions were put, or petitions or deputations received at this meeting.
References from Council/Cabinet
RESOLVED: To note that there were no references.
Report of the Divisional Director Partnership Development and Performance.
The Committee received a report which set out a number of projects which the previous Overview and Scrutiny Committee had recommended for inclusion in the 2010/11 work programme. An officer stated that the Scrutiny Team would be consulting with Members over the next month with the intention of bringing a more comprehensive work programme to the Committee on 27 July 2010. The purpose of the current report was to allow Members to start considering the kind of projects which might be included in the work programme.
The Chairman proposed that two challenge panels be constituted in July 2010 in order to consider Harrow Council’s Single Equalities Scheme and the introduction of SmartWater across the borough. In addition, he stated that it would be useful for the Committee to revisit the Neighbourhood Champion Scheme in the future as the original challenge panel had not agreed the final report. In light of this he proposed that, insofar as was possible, the panel be reconstituted with the new Safer and Stronger Community Leads added to the membership. A Member stated that he agreed with the proposal relating to Harrow Council’s Single Equality Scheme, but that he would like to ensure that representatives from the trade unions and Community and Council groups were also involved.
During further discussion on the work programme, Members made the following suggestions:
· any scrutiny work relating to increasing the involvement of residents in sport should also aim to consider residents’ involvement in art;
· future work relating to recession monitoring should aim to consider both the town centre and district centres;
· the Committee should consider the progress of the Better Deal for Residents Programme, including proposals to relocate the civic centre;
· the Performance and Finance Scrutiny Sub-Committee would need to consider recent changes to the Local Government inspection regime;
· in light of the recent changes in Central Government, the Committee should ensure that there was adequate flexibility in the work programme to account for unexpected issues arising as a result of new policies or strategies;
· the Committee would need to carefully monitor proposed efficiency savings and the impact any changes would have on key services;
· due to the budgetary concerns NHS Harrow was currently facing, the Committee should carefully monitor the provision of continued care services in the borough and the impact of any changes;
· the Committee or Lead Members should consider the lessons that had been learnt following the Planning Committee’s decision to grant planning permission for the Richards Close 'extra care' scheme. Members stated that this might have already been considered by the Planning Committee or the Governance, Audit and Risk Management Committee;
· the Committee should continue to monitor the performance of Kier contract.
(1) the comments and suggestions of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee in relation to the proposed Scrutiny Work Programme be noted;
(2) a challenge panel to consider Harrow Council’s Single Equality Scheme be arranged to take place in July 2010, taking into ... view the full minutes text for item 11.